Take and process payments
GOV.UK Pay is a secure payment service that is easy to integrate with and designed to meet the Digital Service Standard. Give your users a trusted GOV.UK-branded payment experience.See how to get started
You can use GOV.UK Pay if you want to:
- take online card payments and issue refunds
- ensure your payment experience meets the Digital Service Standard
- provide a trusted GOV.UK-branded experience
- use payment processes that are fully Payment Card Industry (PCI) compliant
GOV.UK Pay is free to use.
Transcript of GOV.UK Pay
We want to make it easier for citizens to pay for government services. It’s painful enough that you have to pay for them, but at least the choice of payment types and user experience while you go through the process should be as convenient as possible.
And then there’s the part for civil servants, or people that work in government, where we want to make it easier for them to do all the things that are connected to receiving payments. They should just be as slick, easy, and frankly as cheap as possible.
Right now central government has hundreds of direct integrations from government services straight into payment providers, which makes it very hard to launch, change, or to make changes across government. If you have a payments platform, you plug all of them into the platform, make one change across the platform, and then just switch them on across government.
It will be easier and more convenient for citizens to pay government. It will be easier to launch new government services and do the reconciliation, user support and refunds. And then we can launch new innovative stuff quite quickly and easily across government.
So here we do it once, we do it right, we do it securely, we do it with a good user experience and at a low cost.
Teams running services and managing payments will get:
- an easy-to-use admin tool designed for efficient payment administration
- easy Payment Service Provider switching without additional technical work
- 24/7 support from the multidisciplinary team at Government Digital Service
You can generate reports and issue refunds
Reporting and refunds can be done using the UI or the API. You can choose full or partial refunds.
Designed to meet user needs
The payment pages give helpful inline error messages and are responsive across devices.
Take online payments with payment links
Let your users make online card payments to your service, even if you don’t have a digital service. You can easily create a payment link to use in your paper forms, letters, or emails.
Teams building services will get:
- clear documentation on how to integrate with GOV.UK Pay
- a modern RESTful API for payment initiation and administration
- a test environment to prototype and test with your service
GOV.UK Pay is already working with:
“I’ve just had the first view of [GOV.UK Pay] integrated with our service. It is a really good product. We have integrated it in just 2 weeks which is astonishing and really speaks volumes about [how] well you have set the service up…”
– Service manager; UK Visas and Immigration, Home Office
GOV.UK Pay is available to all government and public sector organisations, including central government, local government and the NHS.